Point of Contact

Point of Contact

Who should I contact when I am concerned about my child’s developmental milestones?

NB! If you feel that you are not happy with the feedback that you are getting go to your next point of contact until you as a parent feel that you are satisfied with the answers that are provided to you. If you are worried your child has a developmental delay, figuring out where to go and what to do can be confusing. How easy (or hard) it is to get help varies, depending on the treatment available in your area.

Even if your child doesn’t have autism, he may need help for something else. “If a parent is worried, it’s rarely nothing,” says Susan Hyman, a paediatrician and chair of the autism subcommittee at the American Academy of Paediatrics. “Parents recognize when something is different about their child.

  1. First point of contact is your child’s preschool teacher.
  2. Second point of contact is a special needs preschool or a program that specializes in the field that your child needs additional help with.  They know most of the specialists in the field and will be able to refer you to a professional. 
  3. Third point of contact – Professionals in the field that you require help with.

What steps do I take when I think my child has a developmental delay?

The moment you suspect that your child might be falling behind with his/her development consult a professional immediately.

By being proactive and with early intervention a child’s prognosis can improve tremendously

There are different ways that your child can be evaluated to get him the support he needs.  Talking to your child’s doctor about your concerns and to get a developmental assessment is a good start, but you don’t need to wait for a referral or an appointment with a specialist to seek help:  Early intervention does not hurt your child.  It only means that you as a parent were proactive even if it turns out there was nothing to worry about.